My family was at a recent birthday celebration at Unk’s. It was our first visit and a long trek from Eastern Smith County. We really enjoyed our $60 worth of food – mushroom appetizer, seafood platter and popcorn shrimp. However our evening was RUINED when during our meal three women came in, sat within 10 ft. of our table and all three chose to smoke. Are you kidding me?! We immediately had to hurriedly throw the remainder of our meal into take-out containers and leave as our child began to have a severe reaction. I found two things very disappointing. First, the fact that Unk’s allows smoking in their restaurant and second the individuals who chose to smoke couldn’t have cared less what effect they were having on other diners. The facts are that only 23% of the American population smoke. However the other 77% of the population is affected when they do so. Tragically, another family with two small children were walking in as we were leaving. Those kids were exposed to more than 40 Class A (proven to cause cancer) carcinogens during their time there. I am not a health nut and call it a soapbox if you wish. I feel everyone should be warned that this is what you will be exposed to when you visit Unk’s as long as they allow smoking. If they feel they are forced to accomodate 23% of the population at the expense of the majority they why not put the smokers on the back porch? That would at least limit the exposure.
As far as the food was concerned we were enjoying our meal and were pleased with the quality. Of course by the time we arrived home it was just cold fried food.
We were planning to make Unk’s a regular weekend excursion but will not return as long as smoking is allowed. Very sad and unfortunate.
The Magnuson Hotel and Conference Center is minutes from downtown Tyler, TX, the University of Texas at Tyler, Caldwell Zoo,
Tyler State Park, Lake Tyler, and the Waterpark at the Villages.This Magnuson Hotels affiliate offers free airport shuttle service, ...
The Hilton Garden Inn is located approximately five miles south of the city center just off of Highway 69 South
in the heart of the southern business district of Tyler. It is convenient to fine dining, golf, and shopping ...
This Holiday Inn is located half a mile from Broadway Square Mall and approximately 122 miles from Dallas/Fort Worth International
Airport. The hotel offers fitness room, restaurant, cocktail lounge, concierge, bellmen, dry cleaning, laundry facilities, gift shop, pantry and ...