The place was a pit. The smell was overwhealming, causing us to check out as my wife couldn't stand it. The owners are jerks. The interesting thing was that it was one of the last two rooms available, and we were the only ones there.....
The list is very long and since limited space, suffice it to say: It is a filthy, bug ridden, mold covered, mildew covered, dirty bedclothes, dilapidated building. Appeared to be never cleaned, could not see out the window. A/C unit fell off of wall. Bugs all over in the night. The office attendants, likely the owners, are rude, English challenged (i'm all for our foreign brothers but when they act like they cannot understand English and are lying I do have a problem with that.). Probably the worst is that there were no other rooms open in the small town (we were there for the Cheese Festival and to see the beautiful Amish people.). My brother in law made the reservations and with a 72 hour cancelation policy (whoever heard of that) we learned that his credit card had been charged (yes charged) before we even stayed there or before any 'services' (and I use that term lightly) were rendered. I believe that to either be illegal or at least unethical. When my husband went to get the money back because we were not spending another night there in that hell hole, the owner(s) had to get their son out of bed to work the credit machine to put a credit for the TWO nights already charged back on the credit card. If they cannot work the machines they should not be in the business. And again, I use the term loosely. When my husband mentioned the Mayor and the Health Department they almost fell over themselves to credit the money back. When my in-laws went to get out the owner told them that he almost called the police on us. Oh how I wish they had called them. To shout foreign obscenities at our in laws and to tell them they almost called the police on us was almost funny had it not been such a sad and dangerous (health wise) situation. I am writing to the Illinois State Attorney General with copies to the Health Department, the Police Department, the Mayor of Arcola and to whatever organization regulates a motel's posture and how they charge/don't charge. By the Grace of God a room became available at the Comfort Inn across the street and we spent Saturday night there.....in a clean, no mildew, no bugs, clean sheeted bed that they did not charge us for until we checked out (go figure)!!!
Anyone and everyone who reads this - please DO NOT EVER MAKE RESERVATIONS AT THIS MOTEL - lack of business will put them out of business which is where they need to be. There is no rating for this as there are no negatives but it will require me to rate. Don't be fooled by the one star....it is ALL A NEGATIVE.
The rooms weren't clean, the plaster was falling off the walls and the room stunk(smelled). They wouldn't replenish towels. The prices changed from minute to minute. I was quoted a price on the phone, when I got there it increased by $20 yet they quoted another couple the lower rate on the phone while I was standing there checking in. The receipt was written out for yet a third amount not corresponding to the other rates. I would definitely not patronize the Arcola Inn when I return to Arcola for a visit.
One more unsatisfied customer.
I disliked several things at this hotel. There were spiders in the room. The outside door to the room would not open from the outside,We made our reservation online and were very disappointed when we arrived at the hotel. The room was dirty and the staff was unfriendly. We took one look at the hotel room and cancelled our reservations for the evening. We traveled 17 miles to a different hotel. Honestly, we were not impressed with this.not worth even $40.00
When we first walked in, we did not receive the number of beds that we had reserved. Then when we walked into one of the rooms, it stunk like mold and trash. Turned down one of the blankets and there was blood on them and also no hot water. Definately not a place to stay if you actually want to rest and be comfortable.
It is close to Interstate highways and within convenient driving distance from many tourist sites and local commerce.
Locally owned business gives it a charm and treatment which one does not get with corporate chains!