Shady and peaceful, this hotel is near the island's only casino and largest shopping center, but is set back a bit from the center of town. It is seven miles from Port Lucaya and five miles from the beach. Complimentary beach shuttle service is available during the daytime. Pleasure cruises, tours and ... More
Island Palm Resort
Property information by Wcities, Inc
Shady and peaceful, this hotel is near the island's only casino and largest shopping center, but is set back a bit from the center of town. It is seven miles from Port Lucaya and five miles from the beach. Complimentary beach shuttle service is available during the daytime. Pleasure cruises, tours and daytime excursions can be planned and booked at the tour desk. The atmosphere here is friendly and casual, the decor distinctly island-esque.
Will never stay there again. Not only is it away from everything, but their onsit market/grocery store is a shame. Overpriced. Even the food in their restaurant is overpriced. And watch out because their portions are enough for a child.
It is not the best location as it is far away from the port. Although the staff was friendly the result of the work was not too convincing. The food served was not worth the money. Starting the second day there was at least one item which was not available anymore. When the bus for the ship back to Fort Lauderdale leaves at 2pm and everybody has to check out at 10 am it is awkward that all people have to wait around the pool and if wanting to eat get only crap food served in a plastic box.
Don't go there.
I would recommend the Island Palm to friends and family
By A Yahoo Contributor, 8/24/07
The experience was very nice - clean rooms, nice staff (but slow moving, like all over the tropics), decent restaurant, nice pool.
We had a steak dinner at the Island Palm restaurant that was great, and the pool bar had ice cold beer.
Friends had recommended the property, as it is a good value and a nice staff. They recommended that we use the "jitney" public bus service - cheap and fun! They told us to do the beach party - GREAT!
The hotel isn't on the beach, but the free shuttle ran to a nice beach (great sunset!) that had very nice amenities. The shuttle also ran to Port Lucaya (shops and casino).
Make sure that you take some snack food with you, as well as a refillable water bottle (good water on the island), and take books or magazines with you if you like to read.
Be very careful in the sun, and use plenty of sunscreen (a must take is sunscreen!). Don't be in a hurry in the Bahamas, as the people there are geared to a leisurely pace; it is very low key and relaxing.
The rooms were large and very clean. The property isn't fancy, but the poolis nice, there is a decent restaurant, and the activities desk booked golf, snorkelling , and other activities for us.
The hotel has a shuttle to a beautiful beach (enjoy the sunset at the beach - awesome!), and to Port Locaya. be careful in the sun - the summer sun is intense.
The price we paid made this a great value, and we will go back!
- First of all, I don't know why everyone says the service was great and the people are friendly, because when I went here, it was the complete opposite!
- From the very beggining of my trip 'til the very end, we got absolutely NO smiles or "thank-you"'s from ANYONE!
- Our tour guide driver was NEVER on time and was always cursing, even when there were many young children around!
- All taxi drivers tried to rip us off a few bucks.
- When we asked for new towels, they took DAYS to bring us some, and when they did, the towels were damp and ripped.
- When asked for room service, things (THEIR soaps/towels/facial cloths/etc.) were shoved to a corner of the sink as if they were just literally dropped off.
- The tours they claim to have (on the internet) were no longer offered!
- There were ants everywhere you go! On your bed, in the sink, on your toothbrush!
- All restaurants (throughout the entire island) claimed to not have any change in money in order to keep a few bucks from us.
- The resort is easilly found.
- The pool is clean.
- Fast food restaurants and stores are within walking distance of the resort.
- It is the most inexpensive resort on the island.
Overall: It could have been better!
The Island Palm was clean and comfortable, with spacious rooms. The location isn't great, but there is a shuttle to the beach and the casino; the beach was beautiful! The hotel isn't a resort, but rather a mid range hotel; it was great for us, but some people seemed to expect a five star resort. For the price it was very nice.
Ask about Resort Tax ($15 a night); it is collected at check in, and some people who checked in when we did had not been told about it. I asked around, and all hotels charge it.
The staff was friendly, but they move at that "island pace", so don't be in a hurry.
While the this hotel's decor is somewhat sparse, it offers a full complement of facilities for reasonable rates. A swimming
pool, tennis court, bar and restaurant are located onsite. The Royal Palm claims the distinction of being closer to ...
Amenities:Air Conditioning (In Room). Hotel Details:Laundry Room. Concierge/Club Floor. Internet Access in Public Areas (Free). 24 Hour Front Desk. Internet
(Wireless) in Public Areas (Free).
Port Lucaya Resort and Yacht Club is a tropical enclave overlooking a multi million dollar marina on Grand Bahama Island.
Perched on a peninsula surrounded by crystal blue waters, the resort offers relaxation, fun and sunny pleasures to soothe ...